Saturday, June 26, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11

I just saw Michael Moore's documentary Fahrenheit 9/11. I biked to to the theater on the west side of town an hour before the first showing and found 30 people there. I got in line and then asked if anyone knew if the first showing was sold out. A man told me that all of the showings that day were sold out. A friend I was going with met me at the theater and drove me back to my place. I checked on line and the theater on the east side was showing that tickets were available. We went and found out that only the 7:30 showing was sold out. We got in line, with only four people ahead of us. By the time we went in, it was sold out and the line stretched back at least three theaters, if not more. Then it was backed up when we got out. I read that estimates show its #1 on Friday, despite not being in the most theaters. Some even think it will break the documentary box office record (Bowling for Columbine at about $20 mil. I think) in the first weekend.

What do I have to say about the film? I didn't think it was possible to loathe the shrub** (lower case intended) more than I do now, but I was as wrong as I have ever been. I had mixed feelings about Bowling for Columbine and I know of Michael Moore's way of distorting things. He did it some in this film, but there is so much just put there where even commentary either way couldn't change the way you feel. All I can say is that I'm taking the Wednesday after the elections off because I'll need time to recover from the joy/misery beer drinking from the night before.



** This site was a great parody site against the shrub's 2000 election site. At first glance, it looked the same. The shrub was pissed about the whole deal, too. Unfortunately, it's not updated anymore, but fortunately, the creators are working in other ways to change things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Down the Road with Linux

About a week ago my System76 computer arrived at my doorstep. I'm getting a bit fed up with the graft and bloat of Big Tech, so I'm...