Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Down the Road with Linux
About a week ago my System76 computer arrived at my doorstep. I'm getting a bit fed up with the graft and bloat of Big Tech, so I'm...
-
Time to get nostalgic about a movie I saw eighteen years ago and was about a time seventeen years earlier. My college roommates can verify...
-
After the post below and after finding Dave's post, I created my South Park persona after a bike ride. I think it's fitting.
all right, introvert, help a somewhat-extroverted girl understand what to properly do with this scenario: girl and blogmate have barbecue to celebrate summer weekend, and invite introverted friend and neighbor. introverted neighbor shows up, politely eats brats, brings awesome mix cd, later blogs about having hung out with us, but during entire barbecue says almost nothing. girl and blogmate are well-versed in filling in empty silences and do so with reckless abandon.
ReplyDeleteso to properly host our more introverted guest, what should we have done? stared back at him? understood that he's actually judging us in his gifted silence and thinks our banter is empty and lame? he seemed to write later that he had a good time, plus i think better of him than that.
Actually, the only thing you did wrong was to assume said introvert wasn't having a good time. If he didn't want to be there, he wouldn't have come. Plus you played his awesome mixed cd and I'm sure he thought that was great. People put time and consideration into mixed cd's (witness 'High Fidelity') and they always like it when people play it and like it.
ReplyDeleteContrary to the above article, we introverts do like to listen to random banter and wish we were better at it. He registered everything you said and behind the staid countenance, his mind was whirring away, processing all the information you were offering.
So he had a great time (he wrote about it, didn't he) and appreciated the invite. There's no need to stare back, just carry on as usual. By reading your blog, I'm sure that is quite interesting, gin & tonics and all.
Pat
all right, thank you. i kind of just wanted you to disagree with at least some of that article. i showed it to a friend who read the whole "introverts aren't arrogant" followed by "they're more intelligent, more reflective, etc" and promptly replied "it's a good thing they're not arrogant..."
ReplyDeleteon another note, i would like to point out that i got made fun of today at work by using the word morose in conversation, but you get some points for "staid countenance." nice. :)