Sunday, November 28, 2004

Life

It's been an unusual week. I missed most of work in short week, due to an ear infection. In a way, the respite from work was good, but also bad. I have a lot to do, some of which I brought home, and with everything going on, I need to be there.

Another strange part was two wakes and a funeral. My Aunt Helen died late Wednesday night, early Thursday morning. She had lung cancer and only knew about it for, I think, under six months. My uncle and she had been married for forty-five years and were the type of couple to do almost everything together. I'm sure my uncle will rebound well, but he'll still hurt for a while. He asked me to be a pallbearer, which I'm honored to be. Also, I went to a wake on Friday of a father of a man I work with. Loosing a father cannot be easy under any circumstances.

All this made me think of my parents. I was over at their house on Thursday. My mother has been having some health problems, but none are too serious and can be corrected. It's thrown her for a loop, though, since she's never really had any before. She's 61, almost 62, now and for both her and my father, the reality of old age is sinking in. My father said he never game much thought to any age milestone, but 60 made him think.

I'm realizing that I need to start making my way from being cared for by my parents to caring for them. They really don't need any help and won't for a while, but it's more of a change in mindset than anything. It's kind of a strange thought to have after 30 years of being the kid. My mother said she’d definitely live long enough to see me get married. I said she might be 103 before that happens. That's ok with her as long as I don't get married on a mountaintop. She doesn't think she can make it up there at 103. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Down the Road with Linux

About a week ago my System76 computer arrived at my doorstep. I'm getting a bit fed up with the graft and bloat of Big Tech, so I'm...