Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sixty-Four Years

Sixty-four years ago, my country unleashed a new weapon upon Hiroshima. This was in addition to the fire bombing of Japan that the army had carried forth. There's a reason that all Japanese cities are made of new buildings. The fire bombing caused more carnage and disaster than the two hydrogen bombs did.

The difference is that the development of nuclear weapons changed the nature of what Theodore Roosevelt called "the big stick". With North Korea, Iran, Pakistan, Burma, and India all getting or developing nuclear weapons and many more having large stock piles, the world has an uneasy truce.

So I hope what Obama and the Hiroshima mayor wants, does happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Down the Road with Linux

About a week ago my System76 computer arrived at my doorstep. I'm getting a bit fed up with the graft and bloat of Big Tech, so I'm...