Tuesday, June 7, 2005

Smut, the Zoo, and 31

So I finally caught Smut ‘n Eggs at Bennett’s on Sunday. Really, it’s just like eating a greasy omelette in any hole-in-the-wall bar, but with a video of some gober sticking his stiffy in the bat cave of a skank in high heals. I did like the surroundings as they met the Henry’s Classic Wisconsin Tavern Seal of Approval. The wall behind the bar had many random things on the wall including a picture of moose fucking, a donation glass to collect money for the first fine levied under Madison’s smoking ban, and, fittingly, a framed Mark Chmura jersey. The service was very Wisconsin Tavernish and I did get called “hon” by the bartender, who was younger than I am.

After that, Shaun and I killed some time by catching the zoo. Of course, my favorite section are the amphibians and lizards. They have one tank with snakes and iguanas. One iguana was bigger than Melvyn (my last iguana) who passed the time by sitting on the largest stick and looking baked. The other iguana was a complete spaz who managed to fall in the water, which scared the snake. He then ran around the tank and jumped right back where he was. This prompted the other iguana to casually jump to the highest point in the cage and give a couple head bobs, telling the spaz to keep the fuck away. Iguanas rule.

And to close, I turned 31 yesterday. It’s a lot like being 30, which was a lot like being 29, which was a lot like being 28, etc. Things change in such small increments. One sister left a happy birthday song on my voice mail with the accompaniment of two of my nephews. The other sister left an inflatable cake and card behind while I was a lunch. A coworker made kick ass brownies, I was sung to at Friday’s (ugh) and had dinner at Fyfe’s. Not a bad birthday.

Anyway, I have to, uh, sit here and drool. More later.

3 comments:

  1. If'n I hadn't had my head so far up my ass, I would have sent you a birthday card.

    If'n I hadn't had my head up my ass. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to ask.

    are you an indoor iguana keeper, or one of the people that wanders around state street with their iguana on a leash or on their neck?

    just trying to tidy my mental image a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my first iguana when in high school and lived 15 miles north of the isthmus. I never took Bif outside.

    I did try to take Melvyn outside once by using a cat leash. He wiggled his ass out of that and took off. He looked quite pissed off when I chased him, but I picked him up. He wasn't that bright, after all.

    I don't think I'd ever take an iguana down to State Street, but I would take it to the park across the street, if I could find a decent leash.

    Funny, one vet I talked to said the one woman took her iguana out and didn't put it on a leash. He'd climb trees and everything. All she had to do was open the car door and he'd come down and jump in.

    All iguanas are different, but all iguana owners have a screw loose. It's good to be different.

    ReplyDelete

Down the Road with Linux

About a week ago my System76 computer arrived at my doorstep. I'm getting a bit fed up with the graft and bloat of Big Tech, so I'm...